STUDIO 15- This week’s KidLit Pick of the Week is “THE AMAZINGLY AWESOME AMANI TAKES ON JITTERS & FEAR” BY Jamiyl Samuels & Tracy-Ann Samuels.
It’s the first day at a new school for Amani and he is super nervous. Not only is he meeting a new principal, new teacher, and new friends, he must deal with JITTERS and FEAR following him around. Amani figures out how to conquer these emotions with his imagination and superhero imagination.
Supplies: Scissors, wax paper, balloon or styrofoam balls, taller vase, black felt, ribbon, stiffen quick, glue gun, cheesecloth.
1. Prepare workspace with wax paper
2. Blowup balloon to a medium size and put it on the top of a vase or bottle
3. Drape the cheesecloth over the balloon and vase so you can get an accurate measurement of how much cloth you need before you cut it. You want the cheesecloth to puddle on the counter around the vase.
4. Soak the cut cheesecloth in a bowl with the “Stiffen Quick” and squeeze out excess liquid.
5. Spread wet cheesecloth apart and drape it over the balloon and let it dry overnight. Make sure to work out any wrinkles you don’t want on your ghost.
6. After at least 12 hours, very carefully let the air out of the balloon and gently peel away the hardened cheesecloth from the wax paper.
7. Cut out eyes out from the black felt and glue them to the face of your ghost. If you are making a girl ghost, you can add a bow to her head.