December 5, 2018 – At 7:48 this evening, Lafayette firefighters responded to the 1100 block of Irene Street for an apartment fire. The neighbor called 911 after hearing the smoke alarm beeping and smelling smoke. She exited her apartment and noticed a light smoke coming from the apartment. Firefighters arrived within 5 minutes. Upon entering the apartment, the interior was filled with smoke. Firefighters searched for the occupant. The elderly gentleman was found in his bedroom. He was taken outside and evaluated by Acadian Ambulance. He was later transported to a local hospital for minor smoke inhalation. Firefighters extinguished the fire within ten minutes. The fire was contained to the kitchen. Fire officials determined the fire originated on the stove.
The occupant left the burner on igniting the combustibles in the pot. There was no damage to the adjacent apartment. The fire was ruled an accident.