PINEVILLE, La. – Nov. 28, 2018 –Cleco reminds customers to stay safe while decorating their homes and businesses this holiday season. Planning ahead and taking the necessary precautions when working with holiday decorations can help you and your family enjoy a safe, and festive, holiday season.
“The holidays can be the perfect time to make memories with family and friends, but the season also invites a number of safety hazards both inside and outside of homes and businesses,” said John Melancon, Cleco general manager of corporate safety. “Reading and following manufacturer instructions when setting up electrical decorations, as well as periodically checking them throughout the season, is one simple way customers can help keep their families and homes safe this holiday season.”
According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, an estimated 78 percent of Americans decorate their homes during the holiday season. Each year, hospital emergency rooms treat about 12,500 people for injuries such as falls, cuts and shocks related to holiday lights, electrical decorations and Christmas trees.
Follow these tips to keep your home and family safe this holiday season:
· Always turn off holiday lights when you leave your home or go to sleep.
· Carefully inspect holiday light strings each year and discard any with cracked or frayed cords or sockets, or loose connections.
· Keep yourself, your decorations and equipment at least 10 feet away from power lines.
· Never exceed the maximum number of strings or devices that may be linked together, as indicated on decoration packaging.
· Never staple or nail through electrical wires or extension cords, as this may damage the wiring or insulation and cause electrical shock or fire.
For more holiday safety tips, visit, and follow Cleco on Facebook at @ClecoPower.