A very hot & humid stretch of weather on the way. A stray thunderstorm possible tomorrow afternoon. Coverage will be very slim, and you’ll be hoping for one of those brief thunderstorms to help cool you down! Rain chances look to remain isolated through the weekend, with High temperatures Sunday-Monday in the upper 80s-low 90s. Heat Index values in the upper 90s to near 100 in the afternoon hours.
Our main weather topic of interest will be the tropics next week. Could we be tracking Tropical Storm #Bret and Tropical Storm #Cindy on the way by early next week? It’s possible. Percentages continue to increase for tropical development with our two disturbances in the Atlantic. The National Hurricane Center is now giving the disturbance in the Western Caribbean a 40% chance of development within 48 hours, and a 80% chance of development within the next 3-5 days. The eastern Atlantic disturbance is being given a 40% chance of development within 48 hours, and a 60% chance of development within the next 3-5 days.
Forecast models remain consistent in the development of a large “monsoonal” type low pressure system developing in the western Caribbean by the end of the weekend. These large systems are often very slow to organize. Movement will be slowly towards the northwest into the Gulf of Mexico by Monday-Tuesday. This slow-moving tropical system will have the potential to drop prolific rain totals wherever it ends up, so we need to watch this one closely.
As far as impacts for Acadiana and south Louisiana? Very large uncertainty remains. Unfortunately, little in the way of answers likely until the system begins to organize. At the very least, this system could help increase our rain chances Wednesday-Saturday of next week.
For now, it’s just something to keep a weary eye on through the weekend into next week. If you haven’t already, make sure your annual hurricane season preparations are completed!
Meteorologist Scot Pilie’
News 15 FOX/NBC