Lafayette fire crews are still searching for answers after local apartment complex, Maison Lafitte caught on fire Monday.
Lafayette Fire Department tells News 15 the call came in around 10:45 Monday morning. At one point they had more than 70 firefighters on scene. Two firefighters were injured while fighting the fire and transported to the hospital and were released.
“It was very scary, very scary especially on a day like this where we’re supposed to celebrate.”
The day before Mardi Gras usually kicks off festive, but this year, it started off a little different for people living off of South College near West Bayou Parkway.
Michael Green, lives across from Maison Laffite Apartments and says, “It was a weird strain of sirens. I guess kind of like the beginning of a parade.”
Nancy Gomez also lives nearby. “I said probably an accident car accident or something like that but it went on and on and on for about 20 minutes. Something has to be happening.”
Then came the horrifying view. Maison Lafitte Apartments was on fire. Jack Franks lives in the complex, but wasn’t home when it started. He says, “It went from one end to the other. It spread so rapidly I’ve never seen anything like it in my life.”
The fire department is still assessing the number of people affected by the fire, but regardless of the number, those residents are left with a harsh reality. Between the fire, smoke and water damage, some lost everything while others are hoping to recover what little bit is left.
Frank says, “Material things don’t mean a lot to me, life does. I’m just thankful that my son wasn’t here because he would have been traumatized.”
Jessica Miller also called Maison Lafitte home. She says, I don’t know how I would react to pictures of my parents because they’re both decease so hopefully they’re okay and the smoke isn’t bad. My apartment wasn’t one of the ones on fire but smoke can be just as bad.”
Fire crews are still looking for a cause. As for the residents, they’re just trying to put the pieces of what was once their home, back together again.
Frank says, “We just gotta get off our feet and keep moving. Don’t know where to start again but eventually something good is going to come out of this.”
Fire investigators were able to determine the fire originated in one of the upstairs apartment’s closet near the HVAC unit and electrical panel box. News 15 will update you with the latest on air and on our website.