“It’s the first real cold spell we’re going to have this year.”
Rapidly dropping temperatures are leaving many Acadiana residents anxious to keep warm.
Alton Trahan with the Lafayette Fire Department warns that the common space heater may cause house fires if not used properly.
“Space heaters, give them space,” says Trahan. “Plug them directly into the wall. You don’t want to use an extension cord because it can overheat and that may start a fire. Also keep space heaters at least three feet way from combustibles.”
Stephanie Wagner with the Red Cross says that in case of a house fire having a plan of action can save lives.
“You need to have at least two ways to get out of each room in case that your evacuation path is blocked due to a fire.”
Although offcials see an increase in heating related fires during the winter months, the Red Cross offers free smoke alarms to anyone in need year-round.
For more information on the free smoke alarm program, you can call 1-800-red-cross or visit soundthealarm.org/louisiana.