There are a few things about Lafayette traffic that just might surprise you!
- Traffic engineers monitor traffic using a “peak hour” but Lafayette only has a “peak half hour” – the time for congestion is shorter than in most communities, everyone seems to be on the road at the same time.
- The time when traffic is the worst is Friday afternoon – UL get outs early, a lot of people work half days on Fridays, and everyone runs the roads at that time
- Buses seem like an old school type of transportation, but Lafayette City Transit is very technologically advanced with free wifi and its own bus tracker system – get real time updates on bus schedules and the location for each bus here: https://apps.lafayettela.gov/lts-mobile-tracker/index.html
- The Vermilion River is the cause of most of Lafayette’s traffic problems! The streets can’t connect, so all the traffic funnels to the few river crossings that we have built.
- The Government does NOT build most of the roads in Lafayette – private developers do! They then turn them over the city to maintain once the subdivisions are accepted.