LAFAYETTE – As Mardi Gras season continues, Lafayette Police would like to remind everyone of a few prohibited acts and safety tips.
The Following Will Be Prohibited Along The Parade Route:
• No products that are manufactured for the purpose of being thrown against a hard surface or stepped on to make a popping noise such as: Snaps, Pops, cracker balls.
• No open flames heating or cooking devices on public right-of-ways
• No silly string
• No animals
• No skates, rollerblading, skateboarding or bicycling
• No whips
• No clothing or items depicting nudity and/or profanity
• Stay behind all barricades during the parade
• Do not move, tamper, stand or sit on barricades
• Entering the barricaded areas during the parades is not allowed and strictly enforced
• All normal parking regulations apply during Mardi Gras parades
• Observe all special event parking signs along the parade route
• DO NOT throw anything at floats or float riders
• DO NOT climb trees
• Obey all laws pertaining to indecent exposure
• Do not leave children unattended
• Decide in advance on a meeting place in case anyone gets lost within your group
• Notify police of a missing child immediately
• Acadian Ambulance Service will have ambulance units stationed along the parade route. Citizens needing medical assistance should notify one of the police officers along the parade route or report to the nearest police command post.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2020
Parades: Children’s Parade 12:30 pm – Bonaparte Parade 6:00 pm
Times: 12:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
Routes: The Children’s Parade starts at 12:30 p.m. This parade will start at Lafayette and West Vermilion Streets. The parade will proceed to Johnston Street. It will turn right on Johnston Street and travel south until it reaches South College Road. It will turn right onto N. College Road and go to Gate one at Cajun Field. It will go into Cajun Field, ending near Gate five.
The Bonaparte Parade will start at 6:00 p.m. It will start at Simcoe and Jefferson Streets. All streets leading to the parade areas will be closed by 5:30 p.m. or as crowd size dictates. The parade will go from Simcoe Street to Chestnut Street on Jefferson. It will then turn right on Chestnut Street and go the Third Street. Third Street changes into West Congress Street. It will continue on West Congress Street to Lafayette Street. It will turn left onto West Vermilion Street towards Johnston Street. It will turn right on Johnston Street and travel south until it reaches South College Road. It will turn right on North College Road and go to Gate One at Cajun Field. It will go into Cajun Field, ending near Gate five.
Lafayette and West Vermilion Streets to Johnston Street will start closing at about 11:30 a.m. or as crowd size dictates. Traffic will be allowed to cross West Vermilion as long as it is safe. Johnston Street will be closed at 11:45 a.m. or sooner if necessary. The cross streets will remain open as long as possible.
Remember to drink responsibly, designate a driver if you intend to drink, by not doing so, it could result in costly fines and serious jail time.
Happy Mardi Gras Acadiana!