Data Error LouisianaLocal Weather Alerts
There was an error retrieving the National Weather Service alert data.

Local parishes ask residents to report Hurricane Barry damages

Hurricane Barry left many homes here in Acadiana in pieces and now that the storm is over locals are trying to make sense of the damage.  Parishes like Iberia, Vermilion and Evangeline are trying to help those residents. They encourage you to report those damages for possible support from FEMA.

“Don’t pass up an opportunity to get you back on your feet,” says Homer Stelly, the town of Delcambre’s Public Works Supervisor.

Throughout Vermilion Parish people are dealing with damages from Barry.

Stelly says, “We had a lot of surge water coming in that did a lot of damage to homes that they lost some fence trees. And we only had a couple of homes that got flooded inside of it because most of the homes got lifted after Rita and Ike.”

Chris Fauntleroy’s home in Delcambre is just one of the many homes destroyed.

“A tree fell through. We had to cut the tree out and now we have to try to fix the inside now. And all the roof is gone and the side busted open,” says Fauntleroy. “Oh it was bad because when we got ready to go get out the truck to go see, the other tree on the side, over there, the tree done fell. Right when I was getting out the truck.”

The recovery process can get pricey, especially if you don’t have insurance.

Fauntleroy says, “We don’t have any home insurance we have like contents insurance so I guess I’m going to have to try and do it myself.”

That’s why Iberia and Vermilion Parishes are asking you to report your damages. You may be eligible for federal support.

Stelly says, “Governor Edwards went to declare state of emergency and then he sent a letter to President Trump to ask for a federal declaration because he figured that they had liable damage. President Trump signed off the declaration so that means Louisiana authorized federal funds.”

To get the ball rolling on the process the parishes are compiling a list of those with damages.

Stelly says, “Some are very uninsured at this time, so maybe the federal government can come and help out, getting them back on their feet and getting the town running like it was before.”

If you have a home in Iberia Parish that was damaged during the storm you may report your damages to Iberia Parish Government by email to as soon as possible. If you don’t have access to the internet call the Iberia Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness at 337-492-5451.

If you have a home in Vermilion Parish that was damaged during Barry and are uninsured call the Vermilion Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness at 337-898-4308. They say they’ve only have 9 reports, but know there are more.

Evangeline Parish also asks you to report your residential damages. Call their Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness at 337-363-3267.