An animal shelter in New Iberia has been hit with the deadly Parvovirus.
“We spend so much time with our puppies. To not have the ability to treat them is very difficult,” said Rocky Gates, Angel Paws Adoption Center.
Parvovirus is a common disease with deadly consequences.
“Typically it’s with puppies because they don’t have fully developed immune systems yet,” said Gates.
It’s been one week since the highly contagious outbreak hit Angel Paws Adoption Center. Three puppies have already died.
“We have puppies quarantined all over the facility,” said Gates.
Parvo is often spread through direct contact with an infected dog or fecal matter.
Boots, gloves and large buckets of bleach. The shelter’s current sanitation protocol rivals even hospital standards.
“We have to suit up, gear up and change clothes in between areas,” said Gates.
Parvo has placed the shelter under a quarantine period.
“We’re doing sixteen days from the time of the last Parvo case,” said Gates.
This means no dogs being adopted out and no money coming in. Treatment for the virus has left the shelter with a pretty hefty vet bill and very little funds to treat any new cases.
To make a donation visit their website, https://www.angelpawsiberia.com/
The shelter is in need of the prescription drug Tamiflu. Whether it’s new, used or even expired, it could potentially help save the lives of these puppies. You can drop off prescriptions to the shelter, 1314 Troy Rd, New Iberia, LA 70563.