Firefighters in Lafayette responded when a crusher used to scrap old appliances and cars caught fire Friday morning.
The fire at Louisiana Scrap on Cameron Street was reported around 11:20 a.m. According to Lafayette Fire Department officials, the fire originated inside a recycling baler utilized to bale old appliances. An operator noticed smoke coming from inside the baler, but employee attempts to extinguish were unsuccessful.
The fire then spread to the machine and combustibles near it. A combination of burning diesel and plastics caused thick, dark smoke to rise above the flames.
In spite of the nasty looking cloud which could be seen for miles, there were no injuries reported.
An apparent malfunction contributed to the ignition of the fire. The fire was ruled accidental.